dimanche 8 avril 2018

January - February - March 2018 Readings


This year I won't wait till January 1st of next year to start reviewing the books I read.

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh: I have never read many thrillers and I'm finding myself craving for them lately. I didn't really like this one. It was quite predictable.

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arnim: I really liked the beginning and for some reason I kind of lost interest after a while.

Roots by Alex Haley: It was a beautiful story. So rich. I still can't believe it is the story of Alex Haley's ancesters, that he found traces of them centuries later.

The Liar by Stephen Fry: I really wanted to read some Stephen Fry, that is now done and I'm wondering if my English is good enough to aprehend everything in a Stephen Fry Novel. It was really dense for me to read but there was some very entertaining passages.

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll: Another one of my attempts at reading more thrillers. I liked it better than I Let You Go. I found the subject (school shooting) quite refeshing (the other thrillers I've read so far are all about domestic violence to some extend). It was quite well done, a little predictable too. :/

No Longer At Ease  by Chinua Achebe: Last year I really enjoyed Things Fall Apart, the first tome ofthe saga. No Longer At Ease being the second. I liked it when the boy was just a boy but in this one he's a grown up and I found it not as interesting.

Sweetgirl by Travis Mulhauser: I picked this one at random. The cover appealed to me and there was a good review by the staff of the bookshop I bought it from. I didn't like the story much and found it far fetched.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng: I really wanted to read this one. It was a fun read but I wasn't expecting this. I thought it would be a little more 'exciting', a little more 'thriller'. :p I still want to read Celeste Ng's first book though, Everything I never Told you.

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving: Wow, wow, wow... I read a bunch of John Irving's books before but this one really made me realize how brilliant this man is. Anecdotes after anecdotes, he retraces the life of Owen Meany through his best friend, the narrator. It's witty, it's sad at times, it is just beautiful!!


My favorites reads for the first trimester of 2018 are Roots by Alex Haley and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire