mardi 3 janvier 2017

2016 Readings 2/2


2016 readings, Part Two. 
Category Books I liked.

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings: After having seen the movies countless times, I thought it was time I gave the books a read. And it was so worth it!!! 

Jamaica Kincaid - Lucy: Loved the style and the story of this au-pair living with an American family.

Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions: Very original and fun. I particularly enjoyed the story of the alien who communicates through tap dancing and farting. Still has me laughing like a mad person.

John Fante - Ask the Dust: Loved the story and the style.

Andrea Levy - Small Island: Except for the war time scenes (I really don't like anything about war stories or stories during war times), I really enjoyed this book and the relationships between the characthers that were beautifully written.

Carson McCullers - the Member of the Wedding: Love her style, love her stories. So much atmosphere, emotion and beauty in darkness.

Yvvette Edwards - the Mother: Her previous book was my favorite from 2015 so I was very excited when I learnt that she was releasing a book in 2016. The story of a mother whose son got killed, how she copes with it.

Jamaica Kincaid - My Garden Book: I've been very interested in plants and flowers this year. I spent a lot of time taking care of my little hanging garden at the window and was very happy to find this book. It was nice to read about somebody else's garden. The only thing I didn't like was her tendancy to collect flowers as if they were mass production goods, sounded like consumerism, not love of nature.

Fannie Flagg - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe: Very carefully crafted story, Good time for me.

Andrea Levy - Fruit of the Lemon: Loved the story of this England born girl from two Jamaican parents who decides to go visit Jamaica for the very first time as a young adult.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Americanah: Awesome read. Love the style. I guess I really like when authors oppose two different cultures.

Stefan Zweig - Chess game: Original story. Very well written.


John Steinbeck - The Wayward Bus: So many books... I'm almost done...I'm starting to lose it. Well, I loved this one. I don't remember why exactly, even though I didn't read it that long ago. I guess it's because it's a feel good book and I can't wait to read more of Steinbeck's. I have a couple in stock. 

Doris Lessing - the Grass is Singing: Once again I don't really remember a lot about this book. Just that I really liked it. Hum...

Ralph Ellison - Invisible Man: Kind of dense sometimes but a great read nonetheless.

Alice Walker - The Color Purple: What's wrong with my memory??? I know I liked it but I can't recall much.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - We Should All Be Feminists: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is F****** brilliant.

Bret Easton Ellis - Less than Zero: I love, love his style.

Carson McCullers - The Ballad of the Sad Cafe: Not my favorite from her, but still good, still good.

Maya Angelou - i know Why the Caged Bird Sing: I love how funny she can be. Her life clearly deserves to be told. She is strong and free.

Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha: This one really hit close to home. Findind your way in life, making your own path, even though that's not the road your parents wanted you to take. That's how I took it.

Maya Angelou - Gather Together in my Name: I was glad to find the sequel to I know Why the Caged Bird Sing in this one.

Two books I loved.

Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange: It took me a while to grasp the depth of this one but in the end it blew my mind. I have never seen the movie and I'm glad the book was my first approach to this incredible story.

Richard Wright - Black Boy: I wasn't expecting such a tale. I can't explain why I loved it so much but I did. The story is poignant, the style is easy and yet interesting.

And these are my top 3 books of 2016, in no particular order.

Betty Smith - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn: What a wonderful book! Full of rich characters. I loved it so much I bought my Mom a copy. I particulary enjoyed the character of the aunt. What a fun and free woman.

Carson McCullers - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter: I trully discovered McCullers work in 2016, and this book is everything I was waiting for in a book. Deep characters, beautiful story, atmosphere. The ending, even though I didn't see it coming, was really something I wanted to read some day.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Purple Hibiscus: This book!! Kids living in a very strict and respectable family spend their vacation at their 'cool' aunt's home with her own kids. It was powerful and fresh. 


Well, that's it for the novels and autobiographies. I'll soon do a post of the comics I read in 2016.
Now I'll just go knit a sock to unwind after reviewing all these books...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire