samedi 7 janvier 2017

2016 Readings - Comics Edition


I discovered comics in 2016. And started a little collection of my own.
I'm not completely a stranger to comics, my dad owns more than 2500 and I read a bunch of them when I was a kid. He is more into historic stuff or comics like Tintin.




I started at the beginning of the year with these.

Nemi by Lise Myhre: It all started with this. I kept bumping into strips of this comic on the internet and read a whole bunch, I wanted to own the real thing. I'm not a big fan of virtual stuff when it comes to music or movies or books, I like to have the object in my hands. Nemi is OK, sometimes very funny, and I love the 'coup de crayon'(pencil work?).

The Worrier's Guide To Life by Gemma Correll: I had seen this book in a shop prior, and I have to say the titlle spoke to me of course. I was a little disappointed with how little material there actually is in this book. Lots of blank pages. But it over all it was cute.

Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen: I pre-ordered this one. Some of the strips are hilarious and oh so true!!! This one is my absolute favorite. Especially true for me in 2016.


My favorite of this batch was Soppy by Philippa Rice. I adored the drawings and the story, something so mundane and yet so beautiful. So simple yet I'm sure it came with A LOT of work. It's also very touching.



Then in June, my birthday came, and Greg had the brilliant idea to give me comics as a present. It was awesome. :p

Qui mange des couteaux by Zoé Jusseret: Kind of weird in the story, there is no dialogue.but the drawings are master pieces. Each one is a work of art.Very enchanting.  

Commando Culotte by Mirion Malle: Learning about feminism  through movies and TV shows. I liked it so much I bought a copy for my brother's birthday.

Kiki de Montparnasse by Catel et Bocquet: Very interesting biography of this parisian icon. I loved the black and white drawings.


Then came our trip to Toronto in September.

Black Hole by Charles Burns: I wanted to read this classic. I found it for CAN $8. I'm not a big fan of the graphic style, the story was intriguing but a little too dark for me maybe.

Killing and Dying by Adrian Tomine: Probably my least favorite of all I bought in 2016. Didn't like it much. 

Wendy by Walter Scott: I loved it. The story of this quite superficial girl who wants to be an artist. I guess I really like everyday life stories.


The aftermath, back from Toronto.

Julia Wertz: I really love what she does. It's funny, it has no filter and above all it's autobiographical! Everything I think I love in a comic.


The aftermath part 2.

Patience by Daniel Clowes: Last year I read Ghost World for the first time, loved it and thought it would be nice to read a little more by Daniel Clowes. Well, this was completely different from Ghost World. I found it OK. I had a good time, but not quite my thing though. 


Back from Memphis, Greg strikes again. 
When I got back from a vacation in Memphis with my brother, Greg had got me these. For no reason. How thoughtful is this.

Culottés 1 by Pénélope Bagieu: Stories of different strong women through history. They are not particularly famous but they stood their ground on whatever was thrown at them. I loved it so much I pre-ordered the second volume that should be in my mailbox by February 2nd. :D

Le Féminisme by Thomas Mathieu et Anne-Charlotte Husson: Even though it was rather interesting, I wasn't thrilled by this one. Too dense, too much information in too little space.


Well, Greg clearly has a pattern, feminism!!!


To finish the year with.


See You Next Tuesday by Jane Mai: Even though this one was very autobiographical, I didn't quite like it. I couldn't explain why. Maybe because things were so disconnected from one another. I don't know.

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel: I'm in awe of her work. Such an incredible graphic style, a touching story, so many references to books... This is such a precise work. I can't wait to read more by her.

Wendy's Revenge by Walter Scott: I'm very disappointed by this one. It lacked something the first volume had. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think the first one was more straightforward, maybe honest and this one was just quite the same story all over again but without spunk.


And the winners are...

My two favorites are:

This is probably why I am so disappointed in the sequel, this one set the standard pretty high for me. 

It was so entertaining and interesting at the same time. I can't wait to get the second one in the mail!!


With the money I got from my family for Christmas, I indulged myself in a little shopping spree. 
These are the first three books I received, I'm waiting on another half dozen to show up.
I'll probably die soon, when our appartment will collapse under the weight of our books, comics, CDs and DVDs... We live in such an old building...
Well, I regret nothing. Maybe that I didn't get into comics sooner.











1 commentaire: